SAVE OUR SCHOOLS NJ
STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES
We believe every child should have access to a high-quality, publicly-funded education.
- High-quality education requires safe and adequate school facilities; excellent instruction that incorporates children’s individual needs; and a curriculum that includes art, music, sports and world languages.
We believe publicly-funded schools should be democratically controlled by and accountable to their local communities, and uphold the highest values of those communities.
- Publicly-funded schools must not segregate or discriminate against children on the basis of income, English proficiency, special needs, race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
- Publicly-funded schools must be fully transparent, including their educational outcomes and the sources and uses of their public and private funding.
We believe publicly-funded education must focus exclusively on our children’s growth and development, not on making profits or punishing communities.
- For-profit corporations have no place in teaching or management at publicly-funded schools.
- Assessments at publicly-funded schools should be created and implemented to improve and tailor instruction, not for punitive or profit-making purposes.